How to start a capsule wardrobe in 3 easy steps

We all start the year thinking that this year will be defining, we'll become our true selves, etcetera. One of the first changes that people actually self-actualise (before giving up in February anyway) is try to shop differently in an attempt to become the person they want to be- a sort of reversed you can't judge a book by its cover kinda thing.

The capsule wardrobe concepts has been around since the 1970s, and the basics really haven't changed in the last 50 years. And I must add, the need for a capsule wardrobe doesn not only stem fromt he fact that we want to look differet, but it can also help in different ways: such as; it’s less expensive in the long way and it takes WAY less time to get ready in the morning!

A capsule wardrobe is defined as ‘small collection of useful clothing that you love that changes with each season’.

Before we get started, you should know that first and foremost, there are no rules. To aid you in that, I am preparing some super-cheap planner that you can download and use yourseff- stay tuned!

However, the basic formula for a capsule wardrobe is:

● A Base (we’ll get more into this later)

● 9 tops

● 5 bottoms

● 5 pairs of shoes

That’s it! Your capsule wardrobe will be only 19 pieces of clothing per season - How simple is that?! Especially if you live in England where season are not so marked that you can get away with layering rather than buying 19 new elements at the change of the weather (from grey to light grey, but hey, you got my point).

So, without further ado, let’s get into the 3 steps you need to take to create your own capsule wardrobe.


Throw the shit out.

Women use 20% of your wardrobe- throw away the remaining 80%.

Yep, the first one is that simple. If it’s been more than a year since you last cleared out your wardrobe, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and get to it. Take one or two hours to pull out the things that you know for sure you aren’t going to wear and get them out of your wardrobe. Be environmentally conscious and donate them to someone who could use them. Or put them on Vinted if the conditions are mint to get a little bit of extra-money in.


A base wardrobe is the foundation upon which your capsule wardrobe will be built. It’s not the daily cache of clothes you’ll use to get dressed, it’s just separating everything into categories to make sure you have what you need to build your capsule wardrobe.

Your base will be approximately 50 pieces of clothing that are useful in all four seasons. There are 5 different categories you can consider (each category would contain 10 items):

  1. Lounge (Pyjamas, comfy sweats, big comfy jumpers etc…)

  2. Workout (gym leggings, tracksuit bottoms, shorts and tops)

  3. Items for layering (T-shirts, vest tops, tights, light cardigans etc…)

  4. Formalwear/accessories (Necklaces, scarves, earrings, fancy dresses etc..)

  5. Outerwear (jackets, hats, wooly scarves and gloves)

As we said before, there’s no strict system and I encourage you to alter this in a way that suits you. It really doesn’t matter if there are more categories or if you have more or less items in any of your categories. This process will be personal to you.

Now comes the fun part…


We’re now at the part where you get to start building your capsule wardrobe and putting together your daily outfits. This can seem pretty daunting, but don’t worry, we’ve broken it down for you and we’ll have your capsule wardrobe ready in no time!

Start by creating 3 outfit categories that benefit your lifestyle. These can be things such as:

Active: gym, kids, on the go, etc.

Work: office, meetings, etc.

Dressy: formal events, concerts, etc.

Fun: restaurants, date night, etc.

Lounge: movies at home, baking, etc.

Or anything you can think of that suits how you live your life.

When you’ve done that, select 9 tops, 5 pants, and 5 shoes for each category. You should choose these items based on:

  1. Their usefulness in each of your outfit categories;

  2. How well the items fit today; if you know you won’t want to wear it because it doesn’t fit, don’t add it.

  3. How easily you could create an outfit with them based on the other pieces in your capsule.

If you are buying new items altogether (sometimes re-purposing clothes you already have is enough- it very much depends on how much your body changed, or lifestyle) you better buy colours that actually work for your colouring. If you are a Winter season, and you buy all your clothes in beige and camel- I'm sorry, but it will never look good. Every season has different neutral colour that suits them better- and this informations is key when building a capsule wardrobe!

When you’ve completed these steps, your capsule wardrobe will be complete! Get ready for always looking fabulous in half the time.

17 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All